Pages

Two Toned Nightstand

Sunday, August 28, 2016


After buying our house just two short months ago, the budget for new furniture was slim. My mom is coming to town for our housewarming party and I wanted her to at least have a nightstand to charge her phone, have a glass of water, etc. It just so happened that our neighbor was moving out and left a pile out on the curb labeled “free”.


I wish I would have taken a before picture of this petite side table. It was a glossy black with polished nickel knobs. This project needed to be stripped and brought back to life!

 

For the first coat of the paint stripper (I use Citristrip) I discovered that the black glossy spray paint was on top of a white coat of paint. The paint dripped off in big globs but left a lot of residue.

I realized I needed to strip it again but only in a few pesky portions. This time I paid attention to the details. Using a wire brush set I was able to get into the nooks and crannies. I also used Q tips to help dig out the goo and also to clean the piece with denatured alcohol once I was done.


 


I love the two toned look and had leftover white chalk paint so it was kind of a no brainer. I left the drawers bare because they paint came off so easily and I wanted the integrity of the original piece to shine through.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Follow up with me on this project and see how I was able to get these drawer pulls to fit even though they were just a little bit too big: here!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment