Pages

Copycat Barn Wood

Saturday, February 28, 2015


 
 
Negative: Pesky Pallets

Positive: Copycat Barn Wood

I’m still working on making Cheap and Easy Wedding Gifts for my upcoming wedding. I wanted to use pallet wood, somewhat rustic and beat up, for this project, but I don’t really get along with pallets.

Please comment below if you have had a similar experience:

1.       Your pallet was filled with an unnecessary amount of rusted nails and staples.

2.       Half of the wood was rotted.

3.       You’re just about to pry part of the pallet you need off and the wood snaps in half.

Here’s a Barn Wood Copycat Technique I’ve used that works:

1.       Paint on a coat of water

2.       Stain over the water

3.       Wipe off the stain almost immediately
 
From top left: Plain wood, water.
From bottom left: Stain on top of water, board dried after stain.
 

The stain on the left is the same stain I used on the right, except I used water beforehand on the right.

What I love: I don’t have to hunt for pallets every weekend.

What I would change: The wood is still too smooth. Currently looking into ways to “rough up” the wood. Any suggestions?
 
 

Status: Not for Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment