Pages

Kids Reading Lounge

Sunday, February 22, 2015

 
Negative: No homework
 
Positive: Fun classroom memories
 
My middle school students don’t complete their homework regularly. So the first marking period of the year I always have a homework competition. Each class total is averaged at the end of the marking period.
Last year, the winners received a game day. I decided to create something this year, A Reading Lounge! Studies show that if students have access to materials, they are more likely to read. Because we don’t have a library, I provided my own.
 
The winning class had the option to choose from beach theme, school pride, and neon, and neon won!
 
To achieve this look, I taped the chairs in a random geometrical pattern, each child was able to choose a section they wanted to paint.
When the tape is removed it gives a zig zag effect.
 
 


 
 
Before:
 
After:
 
What I love: The kids can see their fingerprints or where they put their name in the paint. Some days, I use the reading lounge as a reward for hitting a skill they were learning, at other times the students ask me if they can sit there to do work together. The project was inexpensive (I purchased them used) and completely worth an hour on a Friday.
 

 
What I would change: I would use a sealant or protective coat. I didn't want to expose the kids to fumes so I skipped that step, but some paint is coming off from the wear and tear.
Don’t Forget: When working with kids have them bring in an oversized paint shirt!
Status: Not for Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment