Pages

Brass Chandelier Update Using Chalk Paint

Sunday, July 10, 2016



One of the things I wanted to keep in our new home was this chandelier. But the brass needed an update.
 
 


I used three coats of chalk paint, one coat of clear wax, and inserted new lightbulbs.
We’re using LED lights in out light fixtures since they will last longer.


Keep these tips in mind if you plan to try this update in your home.
1.       Figure out what type of look you’re going for.
With one coat of paint the chandelier looked antique. You can even sand down the details to let the original finish peak through. Even after a second coat the chandelier looked worn. I chose three coats because I wanted the chandelier to look new and match my freshly painted dining table (check in next week for that beauty!).
 
Two coats of paint
 
2.       Keep track of your crystals.
Take multiple pictures from various angles. Consider labeling a Ziploc bag with the types of crystals that are in there and where they belong. My chandelier had four different types of crystals which I didn’t realize until after I hung them back up (in the wrong places).
 
 
 
 
3.       A little bit of wax goes a long way.
Towards the end, my back was aching and I just wanted to complete my project. I globbed on a lot of wax hoping to spread it quickly. The next morning I found some spots of wax that dried together and left a yellow residue. It took a little elbow grease to get into all of the nooks of the chandelier and get rid of the yellow.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment