Pages

How I Turned Old Planters into New Outdoor Furniture

Sunday, August 7, 2016

One of the selling features of our home was the two acre lot we have. It’s tranquil, park-like, but with that beauty comes maintenance. With our attention on the inside of the house, we neglected to keep up the outside. That brings me to my outdoor furniture project. I was inspired by two different projects that I combined into one. They can be seen here and here.
 
Our backyard
 

 
The previous owners used the slab of concrete out in the yard as a fire pit spot. I wanted to convert it into a secondary seating area. Problem: new house= no money. I had to use what we already inherited from the previous owners as seating and tables.
 
 
I knew I wanted to spray paint these planters because they were faded grey and gross. I used steel wool pads and dish soap to scrub off the grime. After they dried I applied rubbing alcohol to get rid of all of the dirt.

 

Then I attached two planters together using liquid nails and let set for the recommended 24 hours. I created an ombre pattern with three different colors. The last coat was a glaze.
Wood will go on top here. See the ugly grey on the inside? That was the color of the outside before the project.
 
The final step is to place a piece of wood on the opening of the planters so guests can place their food/drinks down while they hang out. Check back in to see them in action. I plan on featuring these at our Housewarming Party!
 
 
 
 
See, it looks brighter already!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment