Pages

Antique Chair Recover

Sunday, November 26, 2017


This chair has been in my family for over 100 years.


It originally belonged to my great-great-grandmother who emigrated from Germany to New York. The chair was eventually passed down to my grandmother and now to me. Growing up, my grandparents lived with us and I remember this chair sitting in my grandmother’s room.

 She had the chair recovered in the floral fabric you see here, very early 90s.


 
To update the chair a bit I knew I needed new fabric. I bought two yards of upholstery fabric.
First I cut the current fabric to get it off the cushion. My intent was to take out all of the staples using pliers. That worked for some staples but many were rusted and stuck so I ended up tearing the fabric (which was much quicker).

 
Then I inspected the cushion and batting. I honestly expected it to be in better condition but after being in storage who knows what kind of water damage it may have gone through.
 
 

This meant I needed to buy a new cushion and batting. After I cut it to fit all I had to do was position the fabric and staple it in place.
 
 


At first I wanted to paint or stain the wood but I knew someone would kill me if I didn’t keep the original wood on this antique. It just needed a good cleaning and polish!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment