Pages

2 Steps to a Modern Bookcase

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Negative: Storage Bins, Storage Bins, and More Storage Bins

Positive: More reading

When I moved in with my boyfriend, now fiancĂ©, we had a multitude of books collected that we couldn’t part with. We started to have a bin problem. Storage bins labeled, but never opened. Heavy bins that were lugged around when we moved, then sat to collect dust. Then a blessing came our way, a free bookcase.
How I made my positive:
I found this bookcase ready to be thrown to the trash. I could tell this bookcase wasn’t cheap, and it’s only flaw was a crack in one of the center shelves. I’ve never been afraid to reuse something that old, but I wanted to make sure the flaws weren’t at the forefront.

 
 
 
 
1. Using old boxes, I cut out cardboard that would fit the back of the shelf.
2. Then I wrapped them in wrapping paper.
What I like about this technique is it’s cheap, removable and replaceable, and easy to do. It also allows you to bring a style element into an usual space, like a library, study, or office.
Using prints, metallics, or bright colored gift wrap makes for a statement piece.
 
 

Before: Flawed
 

After: Fancy

 
 
 
What I love: We read more at home now and have lightened our storage bin problem.

What I would change: This whole bottom shelf. Anyone ready for some light reading on Vector Mechanics?

 
Status: Not for Sale

Do you have a dinky bookshelf?

Here are some tips,

1.       Use your kids’ artwork to cover the back of a playroom bookcase.

2.       Interchange your bookcase with holiday wrapping paper to match the season.

3.       Use old sports t-shirts in the bookcase in the den.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment