Pages

3 Truths, 2 Myths, and 1 Trick to Wood Restoration

Saturday, January 3, 2015



Negative: Playing rough on the piano

Positive: Family Heirlooms

At my school, the staff played an icebreaker where everyone wrote down something that no one knew about them. Example: I dance ballet, I was a speech writer, I won the spelling bee, etc. You have to find that person by going around the room and mingling. My little known fact was “I restore furniture”. Shortly after my confession, a co-worker and mentor of mine sent me a few pictures. It’s a family heirloom that was “gifted” to her and it needed help stat. Scratches, gashes, and water stains.




How I made my positive:

When going about restoring this piece, I learned some lessons along the way that I bet you’ve heard about. Let me save you the time and effort.

3 Truths: I used 1. Old English and, 2. Stain pen to cover the little nicks and scratches. Lastly, 3. Sanding, wood filler, more sanding, and stain completed the front panel. (I sanded by hand, sanding with an orbital sander may damage your piano).
 
2 Myths: 1. The oil in walnuts covers up scratches, 2. Wood pen covers up scratches.

1.       I mostly just rubbed a walnut all over the wood and left a residue.

2.       The wood pen came out like a crayon. I felt like a kid drawing on the dinner table.

1 Trick: Denatured alcohol took care of the water stain.

Before:


 
 
 
After:
 

What I love: This student can continue to perform for many years to come.
 

What I would change: When using stain indoors, keep your stain in another bucket. When staining outdoors or in my garage a spill won’t matter, but indoors, things can get messy quickly.
 
Status: Not for Sale

What’s laying around in your attic or basement? Were you recently "gifted" something and don't know where to begin? I challenge you to dust off grandma’s rocker and give it new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment