Pages

My Frist Time Stripping (Furniture)

Sunday, August 2, 2015


Negative: Furniture with Out of Date Paint

Positive: My First Time Stripping (Furniture)
 
 

I wanted to let you in on my first time stripping furniture. I really prefer to work with raw wood when I paint furniture but this little chest has so much potential!
 

 
I immediately thought treasure chest when I saw this piece. But what to do about all of this artwork?

I used a product called Citristrip. After 30 minutes the paint scraped off like cupcake frosting. A few things I was not prepared for:

-have slew of extra towels on hand

I started with a few towels, and then the whole bucket.
 




-you don’t have to scrub THAT hard

I found out my piece was made out of particle board, not wood, so the edges began to wear after 2 coats of paint stripper and became damaged.


-clean THOROUGHLY before staining or painting

When I painted my piece, it felt slimy and began to peel. Probably a sign I didn't clean as well as I thought. Whoops!
 

 

So what I learned from my first time stripping (furniture):

Get a lot of towels, don’t work too hard, and clean up afterwards to make sure all the filth is gone, especially in those creases!
 



 
Now it really is starting to look like a treasure chest!
Check back for the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment