Pages

Home Tour: Davie FL Minimalist Home

Sunday, November 20, 2016

When my stepmother, Faby, sent me some pictures of her amazing second hand furniture transformation, I wanted to know more. 
 
 
Faby moved in with my dad to find a quirky house: Rooster backsplash in the kitchen, fish tile in the bathroom, and blue plaid couches to start. I didn’t mind the interior design decisions because I grew up there but I could see how it wouldn’t appeal to someone else. Since my childhood house sold, they moved back into my stepmother’s house but not without changing a few things first. Now I couldn’t actually VISIT my dad and Faby for the home tour since we are going to my see my husband’s family for Thanksgiving, but she kindly sent some picture of her favorite designs.
DDD: Why did you want to remodel your home?
F: I wanted this house to be Tom and my house, nothing from my previous relationships. Our own space with something we like, nothing from the past. When I moved to his house it didn’t have my touch. I can’t live with clutter. I am minimalist.
DDD: What is your favorite part of your remodel?
F: The kitchen.
DDD: What was the most challenging part of your remodel?
The most challenging was tearing the walls door. I wanted three walls teared down. The pantry was way too big. I wanted two walls at a ninety degree angle.
DDD: How long did this take?
F: 3 months
DDD: What advice would you give someone going through a remodel?
F: I would suggest to go to family owned stores because when you go to places like Home Depot, huge, huge, places, it’s too much that you get overwhelmed. You have no idea where to start. I wanted someone to give you one to one service. I wanted to see a place that has classy style. I went to a store where the daughter and son owned the store.
DDD: What inspired you to reuse some pieces of furniture?
Because you know how I think, I believe in recycle, reduce, and reuse. So I said, Why am I going to buy something when I can do something?
DDD: What piece are you proudest of in your home?
F: I wouldn’t say proud. The piece I like the most is my Buddhas. The ones I have I call the Buddha of Silence and they remind me to be calm.
DDD: Are there any projects left to be completed?
F: Inside the house, no. Outside, we still need to do the yard.
DDD: How would you describe your personal style?
F: Minimalist. I get rid of… you have no idea. Bags and bags and bags. It took weeks to get rid of everything. The less I have, the better I feel.
DDD: Where do you think your style comes from?
F: My philosophy has always been the less you have, material things, the more you connect with your spiritual life. When you are occupied on what you can have, you will never have enough. There is always something new you will want to have. I want this, no it is ugly, no it’s out of style you will always be changing to keep up with everything on the outside. You get too buys in things that aren’t important so you don’t have time do to things that are really important.
 

 
Faby designed the kitchen with cabinets that opened up, rather than out. She also said that everything is white for a reason: white walls, cabinets, floors. She wants people to see her for who she is, white doesn't hide anything.
 
 
All of the following pieces were painted for $28. What a beautiful transformation!

 
 
This is what the pieces looked like before.


After
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment